11-12-20 Basketball Practice

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
A few thoughts on yesterday's basketball practice that they streamed.

The starters looked rough. They were flat and uninspired. We are in the grind of the season, but I would have thought I would have seen more zip out of them. Seems his starters right now are Cade, Ice, Flavors, MAM, Kalib Boone.

Boynton was all over Kalib's effort and lack of spirit throughout and eventually kicked him out to the strength coach for the last 15minutes of practice. Cade was very vanilla until the last 15mintues where he flat out dominated. You could see how good he was and he has a nice shooting stroke, better than what I knew. Ice still cannot shoot at all. Guys are daring him to shoot and he's hesitant and missing badly. Still great in transition but this shooting could be an issue when on the floor with Cade and MAM. MAM is crazy athletic and made one play in transition that was pretty crazy. He has some polishing up to do though. Flavors didn't do much, made a shot here or there.

The second team though. They shot the crap out of it and played with great energy. Keylan Boone shot it remarkably well. Bryce Williams, transfer from Ole Miss, shot it well. He wasn't at the first practice but shot it really well. Donovan Williams played a good all around practice and shot it well. Avery Anderson played well and even shot it well when he got to that midrange pull up. Harris shot it well but he still throws in his bad miss off the backboard shot in there? They beat up the white team all day until Cade kind of stepped up at the end.

No Walker. He was there, dressed and participated in non-contact but didn't do any live drills. Pena was no where to be seen. I was looking forward to see his development. Because overall despite white team's lack of competitive spirit, the team is looking much better than they did a month ago.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
A few thoughts on yesterday's basketball practice that they streamed.

The starters looked rough. They were flat and uninspired. We are in the grind of the season, but I would have thought I would have seen more zip out of them. Seems his starters right now are Cade, Ice, Flavors, MAM, Kalib Boone.

Boynton was all over Kalib's effort and lack of spirit throughout and eventually kicked him out to the strength coach for the last 15minutes of practice. Cade was very vanilla until the last 15mintues where he flat out dominated. You could see how good he was and he has a nice shooting stroke, better than what I knew. Ice still cannot shoot at all. Guys are daring him to shoot and he's hesitant and missing badly. Still great in transition but this shooting could be an issue when on the floor with Cade and MAM. MAM is crazy athletic and made one play in transition that was pretty crazy. He has some polishing up to do though. Flavors didn't do much, made a shot here or there.

The second team though. They shot the crap out of it and played with great energy. Keylan Boone shot it remarkably well. Bryce Williams, transfer from Ole Miss, shot it well. He wasn't at the first practice but shot it really well. Donovan Williams played a good all around practice and shot it well. Avery Anderson played well and even shot it well when he got to that midrange pull up. Harris shot it well but he still throws in his bad miss off the backboard shot in there? They beat up the white team all day until Cade kind of stepped up at the end.

No Walker. He was there, dressed and participated in non-contact but didn't do any live drills. Pena was no where to be seen. I was looking forward to see his development. Because overall despite white team's lack of competitive spirit, the team is looking much better than they did a month ago.
Thanks for the breakdown!

Was Kouma playing for the 2nd team? How did he look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
pretty good break down from what I saw. Keylan Boone looked good I hope he gets some PT. Anderson gets lots of "coaching", I think he will be real good in the end, especially if he gets that mid range jump shot down (its gotten much better). Ice has clearly worked on his shot..at this point is it what it is..not sure how he could get to the level he is and shoot the ball like a shot put.
Can't wait to see them in a live game, practice is one thing, who is going to step up when its game time.

Sep 23, 2010
Thanks for the breakdown!

Was Kouma playing for the 2nd team? How did he look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kouma was on second team. And he wasn't terrible. He takes up space. He's a below the rim player. But he plays his role. He can steal some minutes at the 5. Big body. Better defensively than Hiddie but that ain't saying much.

Sep 23, 2010
pretty good break down from what I saw. Keylan Boone looked good I hope he gets some PT. Anderson gets lots of "coaching", I think he will be real good in the end, especially if he gets that mid range jump shot down (its gotten much better). Ice has clearly worked on his shot..at this point is it what it is..not sure how he could get to the level he is and shoot the ball like a shot put.
Can't wait to see them in a live game, practice is one thing, who is going to step up when its game time.
Keylan was on fire this practice and played well. I see him getting minutes for sure. Donovan Williams who played well this practice is one I could see sitting behind the 8 ball for playing time. Just so many guards especially with Walker getting healthy. But those guys on that second unit can shoot and that will matter. Flavors is the elder and probably why he's with starting unit now but I don't know if he's much better than Walker, Bryce or Keylan. He's just done it more at the D1 level, granted not this level.

Ice's shooting is as much in his head as anything else. You could hear Boynton speaking under his breath "shoot it" when Ice caught it who would hesitate briefly then make a poor attempt.

Sep 23, 2010
Interesting thing about practice at the end I never mentioned. When they kicked out Kalib Boone out to the strength coach, that left the new Sager kid with the top group with MAM at the 5. This opened things up for Cade and the Sager kid made like 3 3pts in that segment. Just having another shooter out there made a big difference. Cade, Ice, MAM, Kalib on the court at the same time could be a problem even though they are our 4 best players arguably. Just something to keep an eye on. It might not be productive to have 3 non-shooters (MAM, Ice, Kalib) on the court with Cade at the same time.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Interesting thing about practice at the end I never mentioned. When they kicked out Kalib Boone out to the strength coach, that left the new Sager kid with the top group with MAM at the 5. This opened things up for Cade and the Sager kid made like 3 3pts in that segment. Just having another shooter out there made a big difference. Cade, Ice, MAM, Kalib on the court at the same time could be a problem even though they are our 4 best players arguably. Just something to keep an eye on. It might not be productive to have 3 non-shooters (MAM, Ice, Kalib) on the court with Cade at the same time.
I only saw the last couple minutes of the practice. Right away Sager hit a long 3, then the black team (starters) had a possession. As the white team brought the ball up HCMB says "black team, get a stop and you win." The black team forces a bad shot, but the white team (MAM?) gets an offensive board at the FT line and immediately kicks it out to Sager in the corner. As the pass is on its way you can hear Boynton say to the other coaches "ballgame." Sager catches and with zero hesitation lofts it back up --- nothing but net. Looked like Dizzy without the bad facial hair, bad tats, no bow and arrow and a modicum of athletic ability.

Sep 23, 2010
I only saw the last couple minutes of the practice. Right away Sager hit a long 3, then the black team (starters) had a possession. As the white team brought the ball up HCMB says "black team, get a stop and you win." The black team forces a bad shot, but the white team (MAM?) gets an offensive board at the FT line and immediately kicks it out to Sager in the corner. As the pass is on its way you can hear Boynton say to the other coaches "ballgame." Sager catches and with zero hesitation lofts it back up --- nothing but net. Looked like Dizzy without the bad facial hair, bad tats, no bow and arrow and a modicum of athletic ability.
White team were the starters. They just kicked Kalib Boone out of practice so Sager stepped in. Sager will not be getting minutes unless we have mass Covid stuff or suspensions.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
If Sager can shoot he may get minutes. I’m not sure this team has any other guys that can shoot. I’m hoping are older guys have improved, otherwise finishing 7th might be a stretch. Pokes lost top 3 scores from a below average team from last year. Cade is a special player by all accounts and that leads to the optimism for this team, but I’m a little weary.

Sep 23, 2010
If Sager can shoot he may get minutes. I’m not sure this team has any other guys that can shoot. I’m hoping are older guys have improved, otherwise finishing 7th might be a stretch. Pokes lost top 3 scores from a below average team from last year. Cade is a special player by all accounts and that leads to the optimism for this team, but I’m a little weary.
Both Williams, Keylan Boone, Flavors can all shoot the ball really well. Walker and Harris are adequate shooters and are all far more talented than Sager. Like I said, Boynton is in a pickle. His best players aren't necessarily the ones that fit together the best. Our most talented guys are probably Cade, MAM, Ice, Kalib....but that's 3 out of the 4 that don't shoot it all that well. I think this is why they have been experimenting with small ball and MAM at the 5 some.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
Boone and Harris aren’t real good shooters and Williams, Walker and Flavors are unproven at this point. Hopefully the new guys can shoot at a higher percentage than Boone or Harris.

Sep 23, 2010
Boone and Harris aren’t real good shooters and Williams, Walker and Flavors are unproven at this point. Hopefully the new guys can shoot at a higher percentage than Boone or Harris.
Keylan shot a very respectable 34% as freshman from 3. And in this practice, he made about 7 straight against live action. So I would say he has nice stroke and can shoot it really well.

Harris I called an adequate shooter because he was considered a strong 3pt shooter while being recruited and he can make couple in a row in a game. The stroke is there. He obviously struggled as a freshman which many do.

Flavors has shot a very strong percentage from 3 in all his stops as a D1 player. Bryce Williams shot 44% from 3 at Ole Miss in the SEC.

Sure they aren't proven like Randy Rutherford, but there's enough there and when you watch them shoot to know they can shoot it.

Sep 23, 2010
You can struggle all you want. I just answered a opinion with facts about our returning guys.
I would like to hear some of your positive thoughts about our prospective team. Who do you like on our roster? What will be our biggest strength as a team? What's going to be your barometer for a "winning season"?