“Drive-Slowing” Injuries

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
I agree a player "too tired" to continue should be out until a change of possession. That addresses the safety issue, and keeps a star player from taking a breather for a play and delaying the offense, and then getting back on the field the next play.

It is comical though that you think players are out of shape because they get exhausted. pretty much anyone who has played sports realizes you can only run so many sprints at full speed before you get gassed. In times past, defenses had time to sub players, now they dont against spread offenses.

WVU also runs up tempo, and I have no issue whatsoever with players staying down if they are gassed to exhaustion. But, like many have said, they should have to sit out until a change of possession.
Wait until one of your opponents starts gaming it for strategic advantage, like WVU did in this game, A&M did in 2011, and certain non-con foes have done. You’ll be singing a different tune.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Wait until one of your opponents starts gaming it for strategic advantage, like WVU did in this game, A&M did in 2011, and certain non-con foes have done. You’ll be singing a different tune.
Hide and watch, if WVU tries to run tempo Friday night the squats will do the same bs to them and WVU fans will cry like babies about it.

Pokes28

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 26, 2003
Carl Junction, MO
facebook.com
I've talked about this for years. Texas Tech is the team that is the king of the phantom injury in the Big 12. But we see it a few games every year.

Here is what I've come up with for a rule.

1) if you are down and require sideline personnel to come on the field, you can not re-enter the game until one of the following things occurs:
- A team called timeout
- a change of possession

So if the officials stop the clock for a measurement or a replay, the player still can't come back on the field until the end of the current possession.

The only way this rule would ever pass is if it were done under the guise of safety for the players. Basically, if a player requires assistance, the team should have the time to fully analyze the severity of the problem. Concussions are a big one.

This would take care of two problems. First, it would stop players from flopping because they are tired. Second, it would allow the players to be able to get any medical attention that they need without the pressure of other players and coaches trying to get them back on the field immediately. How many players could benefit from getting their issues checked out and not being pushed back into play and possibly making their injuries worse?

Mar 31, 2011
The first of many drive-slowing-injuries in the Drive-Slowing-Injury Bowl (OU vs WVU) is currently happening.