‘Skirt guy’ Fletcher plans to hang up the paint after May graduation

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
http://www.ocolly.com/pulling-the-paint-pompoms-1.779408
There is a slide show and audio of a game day on the link.
The Daily O'Collegian
Pulling the paint, pompoms
‘Skirt guy’ Fletcher plans to hang up the paint after May graduation

By Zach Gray

Staff Writer

Published: Friday, October 16, 2009

Updated: Friday, October 16, 2009

Most of the week, Matt Fletcher blends in with his peers.

But on Saturdays in the fall, he paints himself orange, lines his shorts with pompoms and enters Boone Pickens Stadium as “skirt guy.”

Although his dedication to OSU athletics has defined his six years in college, it hasn’t been bad.

“One year when I camped out for 48 days for basketball season was actually the best semester I’ve had,” Fletcher said. “I got a 4.0 (GPA).”

As a veteran of the student section, Fletcher takes on his role with a sense of responsibility.

“I’ve been through it several times, I know kind of what to expect,” Fletcher said. “I try to be a better voice.”

Fletcher’s love of all things OSU doesn’t end with him. His fiancée, Holly Miller, has adopted a similar passion but not immediately.

“I absolutely love it now, but it took a while to appreciate it,” Miller said. “I actually didn’t like (Matt) that much when I first met him.”

Miller said it took falling in love with Fletcher to change her mind.

“He exudes confidence and love for OSU and for people,” Miller said. “And you see that in him when you spend time with him.”

Fletcher and Miller agreed that this spring will be the last semester for paint and skirts.

“When I graduate in May, I’m done painting,” Fletcher said. “I’m hanging up the paint.”

Nov 9, 2008
Fletcher no! I always make fun of him on flag football sunday because he is sweating paint. I was just joking when I told you to quit wearing that stuff. This is Pat by the way.

Epperley28

Federal Marshal
Nov 11, 2005
I thought he graduated last year. When he was put up on the Jumbotron at one of the football games this year, we discussed exactly how long after graduation his wife was going to allow him to wear the skirt and facepaint. While I'm going to miss him, nobody wants to turn into this guy:

Jan 28, 2008
good I and my friends hate that guy

Wow seriously. This guy supports OSU sports like no one else. I'm not saying that we all need to get dressed up and stuff for games, but this guy is there supporting OSU with a passion, a passion I wish many of our fans could find in themselves, even when things are going great. He has been a wonderful icon for OSU athletics and he' ll be missed. Hopefully some others can step into these kinds of identifiable roles.

Jun 12, 2005
Skirt guy can't compare to the orange bathrobe guy. Skirt guy was just an attention whore who loved being the center of it all. A few years ago before about an hour before a basketball game there were some little kids dancing around near the courtside seats. They were getting some applause and what not from the crowd, so what does skirt boy do, goes over there and sticks himself next to them and starts trying to upstage them. Guy can't stand to not be the center of attention.

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
Skirt guy can't compare to the orange bathrobe guy. Skirt guy was just an attention whore who loved being the center of it all. A few years ago before about an hour before a basketball game there were some little kids dancing around near the courtside seats. They were getting some applause and what not from the crowd, so what does skirt boy do, goes over there and sticks himself next to them and starts trying to upstage them. Guy can't stand to not be the center of attention.
You were one of the little kids weren't you?