‘Football has had the biggest impact’ on OSU, Mike Gundy says

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Bill Haisten...

Winning football has a far-reaching effect on the university as a whole, and the numbers are striking.

“I’ve said this from Day 1: The most beneficial front door and sales pitch for this university is the football team,” Gundy told the Tulsa World. “You can track enrollment, all of the sales and everything that has happened, and football has had the biggest impact on the university, period. I don’t think there’s any question of that.”

Last year, Oklahoma State sold a program record of more than 50,300 season tickets.

On average, 35,000 Cowboys fans now are involved in pregame tailgating.

During this decade, OSU has been in the top 25 nationally in the sales of licensed merchandise. OSU consistently has been on the same revenue level as schools like Arkansas, Tennessee and Michigan State.
Link

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
oh wonderful... I get his point, but...

money is more important than an education?

I would have had my success from OSU with or without the football team. I didn't even follow college football when I enrolled.

ATXCowboy

Like a Boss
A/V Subscriber
Sep 2, 2009
Austin
oh wonderful... I get his point, but...

money is more important than an education?

I would have had my success from OSU with or without the football team. I didn't even follow college football when I enrolled.
I don't think you do get his point.

Money drives a better education. Football is the best advertisement to increase enrollment, invest in the campus, attract higher caliber professors, etc. Without football most of that isn't happening which would mean your education wouldn't be as valuable.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa

Money drives a better education. Football is the best advertisement to increase enrollment, invest in the campus, attract higher caliber professors, etc. Without football most of that isn't happening which would mean your education wouldn't be as valuable.
All of this.

Freshmen enrollment numbers have hit all time highs since football became consistently good.

It isn’t a coincidence.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Allowing Texas students in state tuition has significantly increased enrollment at OSU. Football helps but the decision to allow Texas students instate tuition was brilliant.

Nov 8, 2013
Allowing Texas students in state tuition has significantly increased enrollment at OSU. Football helps but the decision to allow Texas students instate tuition was brilliant.
Really? That's very interesting. Not sure how I feel about that having recently paid for out of state tuition for one of my kids (thankfully offset by some decent scholarship money).

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
My wife's Asian-American, and grew up in the SF Bay area. She's got nieces and nephews from there who currently attend OSU. Without our football success, they would never have heard of OSU.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Really? That's very interesting. Not sure how I feel about that having recently paid for out of state tuition for one of my kids (thankfully offset by some decent scholarship money).
Was curious about this after reading your posts --- appears to be referring to the Nonresident Achievement Scholarship. Link to OSU's site here.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
Yep.

Recruiting the kids from Texas who are really good students, but not quite good enough to get into Texas or A&M was a really, really smart move.
Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Kansas State all have similar programs. It's amazing how many people I know here North Texas that are utilizing these scholarships.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal

that is your opinion. (and Gundy's). My kid went to Cal because of the Education, and never attended a FB game there. Same with UCLA, Stanford, and a whole host of other schools. San Diego State is fully impacted (i.e., can't get in), and it's not because of their sports teams.

I agree that it helps keep alumni connected to the University, but education is first and foremost.

Pickens donated to the Geology Dept (where he got his education) long before he donated to Athletics.

Gundy should have said something different, like point out how many athlete scholars that athletics has brought to the campus, or some such.

I'm not that thrilled with his comment that was made simply to justify his outrageous salary, spectacular offices and erect statues to sports figures.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Kansas State all have similar programs. It's amazing how many people I know here North Texas that are utilizing these scholarships.
Yea the nice thing for us is that OSU is relatively close to north Dallas in comparison to those other schools. Hell, it’s about the same as Texas and closer than atm for most kids in high school in the Dallas area.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I know studies have been done about the value of football success to the overall university, but it would be nearly impossible to ever accurately quantify such a thing. We are all aware of a school just south of OKC that has clearly benefitted from their football success.

With that said remember this is being quoted from a guy who thinks his haircut has a million dollar marketing value to the school.

Last edited:

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
that is your opinion. (and Gundy's). My kid went to Cal because of the Education, and never attended a FB game there. Same with UCLA, Stanford, and a whole host of other schools. San Diego State is fully impacted (i.e., can't get in), and it's not because of their sports teams.

I agree that it helps keep alumni connected to the University, but education is first and foremost.

Pickens donated to the Geology Dept (where he got his education) long before he donated to Athletics.

Gundy should have said something different, like point out how many athlete scholars that athletics has brought to the campus, or some such.

I'm not that thrilled with his comment that was made simply to justify his outrageous salary, spectacular offices and erect statues to sports figures.
Schools like Cal can get away with not pushing football. The vast majority of colleges have to rely on their football or basketball prowess to keep the alums happy and donating money.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Schools like Cal can get away with not pushing football. The vast majority of colleges have to rely on their football or basketball prowess to keep the alums happy and donating money.
And stay in the consciousness of a bunch of high school kids.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
My twin nieces from Lewisville just started their freshman year.

No pics.

ATXCowboy

Like a Boss
A/V Subscriber
Sep 2, 2009
Austin

Think anyone outside of the bubble of Oklahoma would know who Oklahoma State is without athletics?

I'm talking about potential students and future employers.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Think anyone outside of the bubble of Oklahoma would know who Oklahoma State is without athletics?

I'm talking about potential students and future employers.
While I agree with your point I was surprised to discover there are quite a few people who do their research and learn where a good education, in their field, can be found for the best price. OSU provides a good education for the cost even with out of state.